Mold in Hidden Places of Your Home
Mold is a type of fungus that exists both indoors and outdoors. According to the CDC, mold spores can come indoors through open doorways, windows, and vents. Additionally, the fungus can attach itself to clothing and pets and be brought into homes. Once inside, the spores can attach to places of excessive moisture and grow and reproduce.
Despite the common belief that when there is mold growth in a home, it will always be visible, that isn't true. The team here at Mold KO knows one thing for sure, there is always a possibility of hidden mold in your Baltimore, MD home. Mold can grow in unseen places like behind walls, attics, hard-to-access crawl spaces, and in the corners of your basement. All it takes is a small leak or high humidity for mold to find its food source.
What Types of Mold Can Grow in Your Home?
Mold is a common occurrence for homeowners. It can start growing in as little as 24 hours after certain materials are exposed to excessive amounts of moisture.
But did you know that more than one type of mold can grow in your home? There are many species of mold, but there are several common types of molds that you should be aware of, including the following.
- Aspergillus. This type of mold can be white, yellow, or black in color, as it does change as it grows. According to Mayo Clinic, the Aspergillus species is linked to health effects, such as headaches, fever, facial pain, and stuffy noses.
- Stachybotrys. This mold is commonly known as black mold and, according to research, can cause severe health effects. It should be removed immediately if you find it growing in your home.
- Cladosporium. This multi-colored mold genus is often associated with the outdoors but can make its way into your home. Although research is not definitive on the health effects of this mold, it is still often associated with asthma and infection.
- Penicillium. This blue/green mold is commonly found indoors but is also known for its use in food and drug production. Despite its benefits to medicine, having it grow in your home is unhealthy. According to this study, the mold genus can still cause diseases and infections.
Signs There Can be Hidden Mold in Your Home
As we now know, there can be hidden mold in your home. Additionally, inspecting and looking out for the hidden fungi is critical due to its adverse impacts on health and building safety. But how do you know if there is a presence of hidden mold without seeing it? It may seem impossible to find the invisible visitors, but not all hope is lost!
Here are our three telltale signs of hidden mold:
- A Musty Odor. A musty smell, also known as a mold smell, is a sign that mold is growing in your home even if you don't see it. That's because mold produces Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), which produce the signature scent.
- Constant Allergy Symptoms. Mold spores can cause runny nose, itchy eyes, coughing, and more. If you experience persistent allergy symptoms while in your home, you may want to inspect for mold growth.
- Previous Water Damage. Previous water damage can also be a source of hidden mold in your home. If you had a previous roof or pipe leak but didn't inspect and remediate for mold following the event, there may still be hidden but dormant growth.
Once you notice one of these four signs, it's time for further professional inspection.
Health Problems and Symptoms that Signal the Possible Presence of Hidden Mold in the House
Aside from non-health-related signs, the presence of hidden mold growth can also expose itself through adverse health side effects. According to The National Center for Healthy Housing, flu-like symptoms, nausea, lung inflammation, and eye irritation have been associated with the mycotoxins that certain molds can produce.
If you or a family member in your home begin to experience any of the symptoms mentioned above, seek the care of a medical specialist and call a mold remediation company like Mold KO.
Common Hidden Places Where Mold Can Grow
Now you know the inconspicuous signs of mold growth, but it's also good to be aware of where these hidden troves can be. But don't inspect for mold by yourself as this can be dangerous fro your health. Call Mold KO for further inspection if you suspect mold in any part of your home, including the following areas.
Crawl spaces, basements, behind walls and ceiling tiles, underneath sinks, in carpet flooring, attics, and behind furniture and appliances are all places where hidden mold can occur. That can be due to unbeknownst leaks or high humidity.
Despite many of these areas not being a part of daily living spaces, it's still critical to address any mold growth issues.
How to Prevent Mold Growth
Prevention is key to stopping hidden mold growth from occurring. To ensure your home is always a safe place to reside, practice these top three mold prevention methods.
First and foremost, frequently check for water leaks. If any pipes are leaking, fix them immediately so that water doesn't leak onto wood surfaces in your home.
Water intrusion isn't the only way to supply mold with what it needs to grow. Indoor humidity levels should always be kept at 50% or below because excess moisture can lead to growth. So, use fans to circulate air throughout the house during humid weather and dehumidifiers to keep moisture levels low.
Also, you should regularly clean because mold can attach itself and grow on dust. By keeping your home vacuumed, swept, and dusted, you can help prevent mold.
Where to Get Mold Services as a Baltimore Local?
Mold remediation involves the removal of contaminated materials, scraping, air purification, cleaning, and more. Attempting to tackle mold remediation and these steps by yourself can lead to severe health consequences. That's why it's critical to find a professional mold remediation company, such as Mold KO, with the proper training and certifications.
If you're in Baltimore, MD, you won't have to search for long.
Mold KO is a licensed and certified mold remediation with more than a decade of experience! We're here to ensure you and your family remain safe in the place you love to call home.
Knockout Mold with Mold KO!
Hidden mold in your home can mean severe health complications for your family - Mold KO is here to help ensure your home is safe and toxic mold-free! If you are in the Baltimore area and there's mold in your home, contact us today at 888-253-4551 to schedule your remediation.