Mold Growth in the Bathroom
Mold growth is a problem that demands immediate treatment. Bathrooms are often the breeding grounds for molds of all shapes and sizes given their damp, dark, and humid environment. Mold can be black, dark brown, or gray in color and features a woolly, slimy, or fuzzy appearance. When neglected, mold can trigger several illnesses.
Luckily, mold can be remedied and prevented. Here's your guide to know more about bathroom mold growth.
Why Does Mold Grow in Bathrooms?
Damp, dark, and warm conditions create the "perfect" environment for mold to grow. Gaithersburg experiences humid summers and cool winters, making the houses here even more susceptible to mold. Here are the most common causes of mold in your bathroom:
- Leakages from taps, pipes, or toilets that find their way into wood and plasterboard
- A lack of ventilation which triggers moisture accumulation
- Cellulose materials like plasterboard, grout, or fabrics that dampen over time.
It takes between 24-48 hours only for mold to develop. Once the mold sets, it continues to grow rapidly until the moisture source is dealt with.
Signs of Bathroom Mold
Mold can be difficult to detect unless you know how to look for it. Here are some signs of mold in the bathroom:
- It doesn't dry well.
- There is a lack of ventilation.
- It is damp and dark all the time.
- You notice dark spots on the floor, baseboards, ceiling, and tile grout.
- It smells "old" or musty.
- You notice symptoms of allergies.
- The floor feels spongy and soft.
Finding the Mold in Your Bathroom
If you sense any kind of mold growth, you must know where to look for it. Here are some bathroom locations to consider:
- Ceiling, where the paint bubbles up
- Shower surround
- Caulk and tile grout
- Around the baseboards
- Tricky locations on floors
- The area beneath your bathroom sink
- Failed toilet seals and staining on the adjacent floor area
- Behind and on the underside of the toilet tank
Mold can target most bathroom areas. In many cases, mold can continue to grow in the background without any visible signs.
Can Bathroom Mold Cause Illness?
Exposure to mold can cause several respiratory issues, asthma, allergies, and respiratory infections. In addition, mold can also target the efficiency of your immune system.
Mold gives rise to irritants, allergens, and sometimes, even toxic substances. On inhalation or touch, mild spores can trigger an allergic reaction. Symptoms include red eyes, sneezing, a skin rash, and a runny nose. In severe cases, mold exposure can unleash an asthma attack.
Treating Mold in Your Bathroom
Mold is difficult to get rid of and often demands advanced and professional mold treatment methods.
- Professional Gaithersburg mold removal services like Mold KO inspect every nook and cranny of your bathroom to ensure no trace of mold remains
- They use high-end equipment like mold detectors, HEPA air filters, and other industrial-strength solutions to ensure the mold is erased for good.
- Since safety is our first priority, we take all precautionary measures to keep any kind of hazard at bay
- Professional mold removal services help you take precautions to avoid mold growth in the future.
Most DIYers use a solution of bleach and water for mold remediation. DIY attempts not only miss inconspicuous mold spots but also delay the need for mold remediation. You might think you've dealt with the situation, but the mold continues to multiply in the background.
How to Prevent Future Mold Growth?
Mold doesn't have to be a permanent unwelcome guest in your bathroom. There are several ways to keep them at bay, even in a city like Gaithersburg. Some of these methods include:
- Keeping your bathroom dry and well-ventilated after each shower
- Sealing mold-prone areas by deploying grout
- Insulating bathroom walls with mold-resistant materials such as fiberglass
- Using a dehumidifier to lower moisture
- Regularly laundering bathroom items such as mats, and curtains
- Spraying down showers with vinegar or mold-killing products after every shower
Remember, prevention is always better than cure. A few simple precautions are all it takes to avoid the possibility of mold growth.
Contact Mold KO of Gaithersburg For Professional Mold Remediation Services
If your bathroom seems to be under a mold attack, reach out to a professional mold removal service immediately. When neglected, mold can become a structural and health problem. As a fully licensed and IICRC-certified company serving Gaithersburg residents, Mold KO of Gaithersburg has the expertise, equipment, and experience to erase your bathroom mold, once and for all.
Our techs will identify and remove the minutest signs of mold from every nook and corner of your bathroom. We will also furnish you with comprehensive preventive measures and damp-proofing details to ensure your bathroom doesn't suffer from a mold attack again. At Mold KO, we're at your service 24/7.
We also guarantee you 100% satisfaction once the job is done. If you're looking for a reliable mold-removal partner you can fully trust, get in touch with us now!